1, Various, amplifier problems

Read more on the Acoustat 1 in our home audio section

Roger Fontaine2004-02-23 22:21

Hi. I have a pair of acoustat model one which I purchased about 20 years ago. I have not used them for years because they always blow my receivers. Do you sell receivers that would work well with my speakers or do you know where I can get one. Thanks, Roger Fontaine.

Advertisement

Andy Szabo2004-02-23 22:21

One of the ”liabilities” of owning an electrostatic speaker is that one must use an amplifier capable of driving them. These speakers are inefficient and hard to drive, and I doubt that there ever was (or ever will be) a receiver that is up to the task. I can\'t make any specific amplifier recommendations, but you need to look for a separate power amplifier (i.e. not a receiver) that is rated for at least 100 -200 watts per channel (8-ohm rating) and that is also rated for driving 4-ohm loads. There are many amplifiers that fit that description, but some will do much better than others. Take a look at some of the system descriptions posted on this site, to see what other people are using. Expect to pay quite a bit for an amplifier that is capable of getting the most from these speakers!

Andrzej2007-01-15 02:02

I use \"B&K\" EX-442 Sonata series power amp. with MC-101 Pre-Amplifier for my pair of Acoustat One. Some claim it is a \"perfect mach\". Regards, Andrzej

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.