2, Interfaces, bais supply problem

Read more on the Acoustat 2 in our home audio section

Drew Rawlings2004-02-23 22:21

I have acoustat model two\'s that have MK-121-2 interfaces. The bias supply transformer went out in one and I need to find out what the specifications are for it.

Advertisement

Andy Szabo2004-02-23 22:21

I don\'t recall the exact specifications of the bias transformer, but it puts out approximately 750-volts AC. I have no idea of the current output, but it\'s not much.

Your chance of finding an exact replacement (except from another Acoustat interface) is next to none. These were custom made transformers, and I do not know of a current supplier.

If you find a suitable replacement part (other than a used Acoustat part), I recommend replacing both bias transformers. Since this is an unregulated supply, you\'ll want the transformers to match as closely as possible. Otherwise, you may experience an efficiency difference between the speakers. You may need to use the ”good” transformer as a sample to provide to a custom transformer vendor (and be sitting down when they tell you the price).

If you find a source, please share it on this website.

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.