, Interfaces, MK-121, modification

Read more on Acoustat in our home audio section

Marc Russo2004-02-23 22:21

Dear Mr Szabo, aA question about modding the mk121 interface. Do I have to have a fixed 16ohm resistor or can I choose a 10ohm or 13ohm resistor if I want to vary the high freq content? What resistor gives me the most flat freq response for the mod? Marc Russo.


Andy Szabo2004-02-23 22:21

The best way to answer your question would be “none of the above”. Please see my “C-Modification, MK-121 Series”, located under “Modifications” for a complete description of the possible resistor configurations.

The total resistance must be 16-ohms. However, that 16-ohms is split-up into two parts, referred to as the “upper” and “lower” resistor in the instructions. There are three diagrams showing the possible combinations of resistors.

For a “flat” response, the combination would be approximately 2-ohms for the upper resistor, and 14-ohms for the lower resistor (total 16-ohms). However, due to differences in listening rooms, and your own personal taste, it is usually best to use a variable resistor to determine your own “best response”. If you have the original 6-ohm variable resistor, it is best to use that for the upper resistor, and a 10-ohm fixed resistor for the lower resistor (again, 16-ohms total).

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.