Spectra 1100, Burned cross-over

Read more on the Acoustat Spectra 1100 in our home audio section

Neil Brast2004-02-23 22:21

Hi Andy, Thanks for your great work in supplying continuing support for us Acoustat owners.I have a pair of Spectra 1100s purchased in 1991. Early on one of the woofers blew out (I don’t know why) and Rockford replaced it free.

No problem until several months ago when I forgot to turn off the power amplifier for several days and came home to the smell of smoke from the left panel and no sound from the left speaker. After swapping a bunch of components I narrowed the problem down to the cross-over interface and the woofer. The panel was fine. I obtained a pair of new, overstock Spectra 1100 cross-over interfaces and a pair of input cups from Sound Values of Columbus, Ohio , via Ebay auctions. So I replaced the cross-over interface and the input cup in the damaged speaker. Everything now works except the woofer.

Now I’ve got to do something about the woofer. I’ve contacted a speaker repair shop about the possibility of a repair. Any ideas on getting a replacement woofer (8”)? I know you addressed this question in August 2000 when Carlos B. Pereira asked you. Perhaps you have some new information. Thanks a bunch. Neil Brast, Palo Alto, CA

Advertisement

Andy Szabo2004-02-23 22:21

I\'m sorry that I do not have any more information that previously provided. If anyone finds a suitable woofer, please post the information!

You might try finding someone to repair the existing woofers. It won\'t be cheap, but it may be the easiest and quickest way to get your speakers working again. More than likely, only the voice coil is burned-out. If only the voice-coil needs replacing, then all of the mechanical parts of the woofer can be reused (I assume), and therefore the woofer would retain as much of its original characteristics as possible. It may be advisable to have both woofers rebuilt, so that they are matched. Talk to your repair shop to see if they think this is a good idea.

I suspect finding a commercial replacement for this woofer would be rather difficult - but feel free to prove me wrong. Have you tried contacting Rockford Corp. to see if they have any woofers left?

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.