X, Various, safety issues

Read more on the Acoustat X in our home audio section

Albert Rietkerk2004-02-23 22:21

Dear Mr. Szabo, I own a pair of ”X” where one is ”out of order”. Because of having my children crawling over the floor and the high voltage I didn\'t want to use them anyway. Since they\'re getting older I don\'t whether I should or not let them be repaired. Is there any company in Europe i.e. Switzerland to be able to do a good job on the Acoustat or is there kind of replacement parts without having to deal with 5000 volts? Best regards Albert Rietdijk

Advertisement

Andy Szabo2004-02-23 22:21

Repairing the servocharge amplifier can be very difficult even if you find a qualified technician. Parts are becoming increasingly expensive, and difficult or impossible to obtain. Even if your amplifier is successfully repaired, it will likely need repair or new tubes again, within a few years.

However, there is something magical about the sound of the servocharge amplifier, and some audiophiles will swear that nothing is better for driving Acoustat panels. So, despite the difficulty and expense of repair, some people continue to use them (and repair them!). Thus it becomes a labor of love!

A few repair shops are mentioned elsewhere in this site, but I don\'t recall any based in Switzerland. Perhaps a few inquiries at your local hi-fi shops may lead to a qualified technician.

The amplifiers can be replaced with transformer interfaces, which allow the use of a conventional audio amplifier. See my Technical Bulletin ”Acoustat MK121 Interface Versions” for more information. These interfaces are no longer manufactured new, but they are available on the used market.

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.