1 plus 1, Interfaces, bi-amping

Read more on the Acoustat 1 plus 1 in our home audio section

Jim Mullin2004-02-23 22:21

Is it possible to reconfigure the interface to allow the speaker to be bi-amped. I would use four identical mono-block amps.

Advertisement

Andy Szabo2004-02-23 22:21

It is possible to bi-amp the MK-121 interface on the 1+1 speaker, although I\'m not sure if it would be worth the trouble.

As the interface is currently wired, the input signal, after the fuse, splits two ways. The first split goes through a 1-ohm resistor to the low frequency transformer (resist the temptation to remove that resistor: it\'s there for a reason). The second split goes through a high-pass crossover to the high frequency transformer. It is at that split point where you would need to separate the low and high frequency circuits for bi-amping. I would recommend having a fuse in-line with each circuit.

A schematic is available for the MK-121 interface in the ”Model 1, 1+1, 2+2, 3” manual in the ”Manuals” section. Note this schematic is for the original ”B” version of the interface. If you have a ”C” version, see the schematic ”MK-121-2(A) Medallion Modification” in the ”Modification” section. If you are not sure which version you have, see the technical Bulletin ”Acoustat Medallion Transformer Modification”

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.