3, Output, cuts in and out at low volume

Read more on the Acoustat 3 in our home audio section

Mike D.2004-02-23 22:21

Hi Andy, I just purchased a pair of early Moldel # 3 Speakers (MK-121-2A). Are repair parts still available for these ? One speaker cuts in and out at low volume levels. When I raised it, it played fine untill the base part of the music became loud -----and then it blew my power amp fuse. There seems to be very few components inside, could it be the diodes or transformers? Are the parts still available. Help !!! Mike D. In Pennsylvania.

Advertisement

Andy Szabo2004-02-23 22:21

From your description, it sounds as though you may have an electrical component that is suffering from high-voltage breakdown (arcing). This is most likely one of the transformers, or possibly a capacitor. Finding the exact source of the problem will be difficult for you, and replacement parts are difficult (or impossible) to find.

However, don\'t give up hope just yet. There is a repair service available (Sounds Like New, listed under “Refurbishing”). They are experts at Acoustat repair, and have a good stock of replacement parts. They won\'t sell you parts, so you\'ll need to send the interfaces (black boxes) to them for repair. It is very unlikely that there is anything wrong with the panels themselves.

I am assuming, of course, that you have the speakers plugged into the wall. That power connection provides the bias voltage necessary for the speakers operation.

Good Luck with your repair, and do write again if we can be of further assistance.

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.