Kappa 8.1, What power source do I need?

Read more on the Infinity Kappa 8.1 in our home audio section

Mike2009-09-17 01:14

Hi I just picked up some used kappa 8.1\'s only to be told that these bad boys need serious power. Now I know nothing about home audio, I think newbie is where I stand, but was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I am trying to add these to a home theater that only has a kenwood 100 watt receiver. I don\'t know if a new receiver or adding an amp would be my best bet.

Thanks
Mike

Advertisement

Manny Fernandez2010-03-04 18:23

I have the Kappa 9.1 and the 7.1 as well as the subs ssw210 and ssw212. They are superb speakers. They do require some power. I am currently using a denon 5308ci with puts out about 150 watts per channel. That is on the lower end. I had at one time a carver 250 watt amp per channel driving these speakers and they really sang. The original Kappa 9s were so power hungry that I understand the impedience dipped to 1 ohm in a couple of places. You would need a supper amp to power that. For your situation you want an amp that can dip down to 6 ohm impedience preferably 4 ohm. That starts increasing the costs. If you already have a AVR that you are happy with consider adding an external amp and run from your AVR using its pre-outs to the amp and then to the Kappa 8.1s.

Manny

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.