SSW-210-EP, Subwoofer output sometimes is distorted

Read more on the Infinity SSW-210-EP in our home audio section

Manny Fernandezd2010-03-04 18:34

I have had a Infinity Kappa Subwoofer SSW-210 since new (1990) It is big (two 10 inch drivers) and has a built in amp 250 watts RMS. For the last few years I have on and off heard some distortion. It will play tones without fault, but often during a movie it will sound distorted. I had the woofers checked out and a speaker repair said they looked good. I took the unit to an approved Infinity facility in Orange County, CA and they replaced the amp IC. It still continued to distort on occasion. If I am listening to music it seems ok. More often it is during a movie when the sounds change so quickly. Any ideas?? I heard from a fellow out of New York who is a Infinity expert and he said that these amps have been a problem from the beginning and no one seems to know what to do.
Manny

Advertisement

James2010-04-30 12:53

You might be hearing air leaking during big booms. The seals on the seams of the box deteriorate over time and the non-ported design is now ported. You need to open it up and reseal the box.

If that\'s not it then it could be that the range is set too high, I usually set mine to only register 100hz and lower.

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.