ESL-2905, Iiisssssss sound

Read more on the Quad ESL-2905 in our home audio section

Aramando Santos2008-06-20 17:13

Please try to help me. I have a new pair of Quad ESL-2905, 3 month old, and lately a noise appeared in one of them. It´s a kind of iiisssssss, audible at 1 meter distance. The other speaker is almost dead quiet. This noise is present even when the amplifier is OFF. Also, after being playing for a while this noise grows and becomes variable, rooonniisssroonnn. Have you ever knew a case like this? What could it be? I don´t want to believe that they are faulty� Their typical fantastic sound remains unchanged. Best regards.

Advertisement

James Blank2010-11-17 14:47

It looks like there is something trapped inside the panel which causes a path between the stator and the membrane. This can result in a discharge of the panel causing this hissing sound. I am not familiar with the 2905 so I don't know if the still have dustcovers. We had Final ESL's over here without dustcovers and this hissing occured quite often. Simply vacuum cleaning them - with care of course - would do the trick.

If they do have dustcovers, I think best thing to do is to send the speaker to your dealer for professional repair.

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.