, The place to share your Quad experiences!

Read more on Quad in our home audio section

R. Hillen2011-07-12 10:08

Since a few days I am the proud owner of beautiful Quad equipment, and I wondered if there are more Quad lovers around here?

Please use this topic to share your experiences and show us why you love Quad!

I got myself a Quad 99 CD-P and a Quad 909, and so far I am enjoying more each day!

Advertisement

Bart J.2011-07-12 11:06

Since the mid-70s up until three years ago I used a Quad 33. The first 20 years as a preamp in my main system, then I used it in the kitchen. It was slightly modified: bypassed balance control and better resistors and diodes. The only two things I needed to repair over thirty years were a soldering on a PCB that was causing a loose connection, and the little backlight from the logo on the front ;). Then three years ago it began to falter, so I replaced it by a second-hand 44.

The 33 - and later the 44 - were connected to a 405-2 since the early '80s , which had the power capacitors replaced due to leakage of power. The unit will only power off when I go on holiday, meaning it has been on for over 25 years... The speakers are one-way DIY's from Audio & Techniek (a company based in The Netherlands) - an easy load for an amplifier that doesn't deliver that much power.

Last but not least: 30 years ago a friend of mine had some Quad ESL's. In some ways I never heard more beautiful sound. Incomparable.

Jaffa2011-07-12 11:17

What a nice topic!

I too have been infected by the Quad virus.. Currently enjoying the folllowing setup:

Quad 99 CDP-2
Quad 99 Pre Amp
Quad 99 Stereo

Not only the sound is beautiful, the simple design is great too!

Chope2011-07-12 11:36

My first set was the Quad II amplifier with a Quad 22 preamp, Quad FM tuner and Quad ESL speakers. After some time I replaced the preamp and tuner for the newer Quad 44 and FM-4, and even later by the Quad 66 and FM-6! After these I upgraded to preamps and tuners from other brands, but I continued to use the Quad II and ESL's.

A few years ago I had the chance to replace the Quad II's with their 24-carat Anniversary edition for the 65th anniversary of Quad. Great amps that I had to let go (with pain in my heart) because they did not have enough power (2x 15W) for my new speakers ... The Quad ESL-988 =)

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.