Kennedy Ampex topic reply
Mark Gillard Turntables new topic
Termboon Dej-udom Spectral Audio topic reply
David Jacobs Quadraflex 969 specifications
Pharmd52 Optimus topic reply

S-51, speakers

Read more on the Synergistics S-51 in our home audio section

Jj2006-12-08 01:17

dose anyone have an idea at how many watts these things can puch.. i need the all the specs on the speakers

Advertisement

Questor2018-08-19 01:57

I purchased a set of Synergystics S-51 Speakers (S-51A?) before I moved into college dorms in 1978. I bought them because S-51 Speakers had an excellent sound with best combination of speaker components and because they were highly recommended by the Stereo shop I use to visit.

I believe there were early model Synergistics S-51A Speakers and S-51C Speakers that used a different mix of components where S-51A Speakers were supposedly better in sound.
If I recall correctly, many popular audiophile Stereo Magazines in 1977-78 rated Synergystics S-51A Speakers as the best sound and value among all 1977 Speakers sets.

However at a college party, I hooked the S-51A Speakers up to a Pioneer SX-838 Stereo Receiver with 300 Watts RMS output. I blew a cone in one S-51 Speakers at the full 300 Watts RMS and had to get replacement parts.

If I recall correctly, the Stereo shop where I bought the set said the S-51 Speakers were rated at 300 Watts RMS. However, stereo receivers at that time were hard to correctly categorize with standard parts, since some OEMs were swapping parts within the same model because of the scarcity or lack of availability of some parts. Also, the Watts RMS output accepted by the Speakers could vary based upon the system components condition inside the S-51 Speakers, pre-amp volume of music played etc.

I still have my set of S-51 Speakers and they work great, but I keep them at low volume :-)

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.