L-50, Amplifier

Read more on the Linear L-50 in our home audio section

Alex Dutton2006-11-18 17:58

I have recenlty been given a Linear L50 valve amplifier to restore and repair, that was saved from a rubish skip. It has a valve line up of two EF86 pre-amp valves, an ECC83 driver, two EL34 power valves and a GZ34 rectifier. Inside the chassis are two circuit boards. I have had sound out of the amp accompanied with lots of hum which is not regulated by the volume controlls. I therefore feel that there is an im-balance in the bias current or inadequate power supply smoothing. However, the power valve wiring does not look conventional and the circuit boards are really untidy. I am therefore looking for a circuit diagram, if anyone could help me out here. Many thanks.

Advertisement

Alex Dutton2006-11-18 17:58

Snap! Well not quite. I am in the process of repairing a similar amp. The one I have is in quite good condition. Everything appears original apart from capacitors that have been added to the rectifier circuitry. And yes this one hums like a pig too. If you can forward me your email addy I can send you detailed photos for cross reference purposes.

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.